10 Quotes on Being and Becoming Yourself
If you’re having an identity crisis, you may find comfort in knowing most people don’t have a clue what they’re doing, who they are, or who they’re supposed to be. I feel as if I’ve been riding the exciting wave of confusion and self-discovery for the past 24 years, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that boat.
Maybe we never stop questioning who we are. Life’s voyage is challenging yet rewarding, and at certain points, we all surprise ourselves. I’m told there is no need to know exactly who you are in order to do well in life.
Here’s a roundup of quotes that inspire me to be myself and continue growing into who I ought to be.
1. “Me, I can change during the course of a day. I wake and I’m one person, when I go to sleep I know for certain I’m somebody else. I don’t know who I am most of the time.”
― Bob Dylan
2. “People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates.”
― Thomas Szasz
3. “I reinvented my image so many times that I’m in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.”
― David Bowie
4. “I am made and remade continually. Different people draw different words from me.”
― Virginia Woolf
5. “Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?”
― Charles Bukowski
6. “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself. I want to avoid becoming too styled and too ‘done’ and too generic. You see people as they go through their career, and they just become more and more like everyone else.”
― Emma Watson
7. “I remember feeling enormous pressure because I didn’t want to be Shirley Temple. Shirley Temple was Shirley Temple, and I didn’t ever feel like I could live up to that.”
8. “Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I’ve ever known.”
― Chuck Palahniuk
9. “People think you have to know what you want to do with your life by the time you’re 19. Wrong. Or that you have to be in a significant relationship in your twenties. Wrong. It’s all just nonsense.”
― Tilda Swinton
10. “What the really great artists do is they’re entirely themselves. They’re entirely themselves, they’ve got their own vision, they have their own way of fracturing reality, and if it’s authentic and true, you will feel it in your nerve endings.”
― David Foster Wallace
What are some of the words you live by? Share them in the comments.